Friday, January 05, 2007

Wondertime

I just got my new issue of Wondertime magazine yesterday, and I love it!!! There's a great bit in the letter from the Editor that gives some overall reminders to parents. Take a look at these:
  • Smile more, your face speaks volumes to your child.
  • Three things to say more often: "Take your time," "It's not your fault," and "I'm sorry, you're right."
  • Listen more, talk less - your child is the best teacher you'll ever have.
  • Care as much about other people's children as you do about your own.
  • Remember that kids don't learn by having knowledge poured into their brains; they learn by experience and through relationships.
  • Expose your child to noble people.
I tried the first one yesterday. Little Liam couldn't soothe himself to sleep at naptime - he has a bad cold. So I held him and tried to rock him to sleep. All the shsh-ing and singing in the world wouldn't calm him. So I tried smiling while I shsh-ed - he gazed into my eyes and fell fast asleep. And I really like the listen more, talk less bit. I have a habit of trying to finish their sentences, or stopping them when they complain with an empathetic "I know" (which I've heard Sofia using lately with her toys and in her make believe conversations). But the truth is, I need to be quiet and listen to what they have to say. Because honestly, a lot of the time I really don't know what's going on in their heads or hearts.

So, the moral of the story. All parents, go out and find yourself a copy of Wondertime magazine. It has fast become my all-time favorite publication!

No comments: