Sunday, November 12, 2006

Baby-proofing

I've come to realize that baby-proofing means different things for different babies. For Sofia, it was taking minor measures to protect her from danger. For Liam on the other hand, I think it's making an attempt to protect my house from the baby. We still have the gate up at the top of the stairs. It's drilled into the studs in the wall. But it won't be for long - Liam pulls at it every chance he gets, and I'm convinced he's going to pull it out of the wall very shortly. He can already pull one corner far enough away from the wall that he could feasibly wiggle through if he really wanted to. And there were all sorts of things that I never needed to baby proof for Sofia - the stove, the TV buttons, the lazy susan in the kitchen, outlets that were behind furniture. Liam's favorite past time is to move the furniture. The kid isn't even 11 months yet! I don't think I'll be able to protect the house from him, but if I try really hard, I can probably (hopefully) keep him from doing permanent damage to himself.

No comments: