Sunday, November 19, 2006

Priorities

So, parenting is about giving your children what they need, not just what they want. What they want is for the world to revolve around them. For the people (and things) they love to be ever-present. But what do they need? They need to know that they are loved, and they need examples of proper priorities and values. They need character development, and that comes, in part, from not always getting the things we want.

Therefore, it just might be that my upcoming trip to Bangkok is good for them. Explaining to them that mama's going on an airplane to help people somewhere else, and explaining to them that God loves those people too, will teach them certain values. And long-term, it's an example of how we, as their parents (I include Eugene in this, because I couldn't do this without his strong support), place our values and see our parenting responsibilities. God always first, then our marriage, then our kids. And let's face it... with my kids at their current ages (Liam will be 13 months in Janary, Sofia will be 3 months shy of 3 years old), it's the perfect time for me to go somewhere. Traveling without them will be much harder when they're old enough to remember that mom missed their piano recital or soccer game. Or, when they have so many activities that they need a full-time taxi driver (a.k.a., "mom").

I worry about them and how they'll manage without me for a week and a half. And I worry that whoever is caring for them won't remember to give Sofia her vitamin, or to tell her a story at bedtime, or watch how Liam treats his ear. Or the obvious, that something bad will happen while I'm away. But, I have to remember to trust in God (and trust in others' abilities to care for my kids...), and most importantly, that God is sovereign and loves my kids even more than I do.

No comments: