Monday, February 19, 2007

Talked to Rob

For the first time in 12 months, I talked to Rob yesterday. Rob's my brother, and he's stationed in Afghanistan, doing some amazing things so that we - here in the US - can sleep safely.

I had a 20 minute conversation with him on the phone, and it was truly the highlight of the month for me. I got my first 'personal' email from him last week - he usually just sends one mass email once every 4-6 weeks to let everyone know that he's doing well and tell us about the weather. There isn't much more he can say. But, he sent me an email last week, and then yesterday he called my parents. And, thanks to our little road trip, he got me instead. Oh happy day!

I also talked to his beautiful wife the previous day. She returned from deployment to Afghanistan last week, and is having to manage the struggles of repatriation alone. But it was so nice - to get a personal email from Rob, then to talk to his wife and welcome her home after 12 months of service, then to actually have Rob to myself on the phone for nearly half an hour! There's something about that sibling bond. It doesn't matter how much time has passed, we'll still be each others' biggest fans day in and day out.

No comments: