100 things about Kathy
- The only things you’ll find me drinking are water and coffee.
- And maybe a margarita or bloody mary on very rare (yet happy) occasions.
- I love to knit.
- But only with natural fibers – wool, cotton, soy, but no acrylic or other man-mades. Yeah, I’m a fiber nerd. And a fiber snob. Sorry. I’m dealing with my issues.
- I love to crochet too, but I stink at it.
- I find that I had a lot more time for things like that before kids.
- I like to read too, but that’s become an endangered hobby since kids too.
- I always thought I’d be a professional saxophonist.
- In Harry Connick, Jr.’s band.
- I met his dad once, and the band he grew up playing with.
- They said I could jam with them. But that was the end of it. Sax was in
, band wasn’t. Florida
- I was never meant to be a professional saxophonist. That was a disappointment.
- Nor was I meant to be a professional athlete. I pretended that was a disappointment.
- I truly hope my kids never think they need to feign feelings for my sake.
- My favorite room in the house is the nursery. It’s pastel yellow with an alphabet nursery rhyme border, and lots of windows.
- I’d sit there and read all day – if I had all day to sit and read.
- I might knit a bit too, with that kind of time.
- I hate wearing shoes.
- I don’t like socks either.
- I also hate having sand between my toes.
- But I’m willing to make the sacrifice for the sake of a leisurely day at the beach.
- I’m a seminary drop-out.
- During a time of intense Life Issues I doubted God.
- Some people thought that meant I didn’t belong with the spiritual giants at seminary.
- I’ve learned that it’s okay to doubt God.
- I’ve also learned that He’s willing to wrestle with me, when I need to wrestle.
- My first job was a grocery store cashier.
- I never was good with money.
- My next six to eight jobs after that also involved retail.
- Most of my bosses learned not to put me behind a cash register.
- I still can’t balance my checkbook. It’s a good thing my hubby rocks at that.
- I was also a bar-tender. I make a killer bloody mary.
- My hubby is the sole beneficiary of my bar-tending skills now.
- I’ve been to 13 countries outside of the
- Only 2 continents though.
- I need to see more of the world.
- My husband’s probably been to twice the number of countries I have.
- I’ve been held at gunpoint in a foreign country.
- I’ve been randomly kicked off a train in a foreign country – twice.
- Natural disasters follow me when I travel.
- Friends don’t let friends travel with me because of it!
- I have a weak spot for books.
- We could cover our walls with book shelves, and it still wouldn’t be enough.
- I’m learning to simplify my life.
- Less spending, less stuff. More time with people.
- I want to get a law degree. But I don’t want to be a lawyer.
- I also want a degree in speech & language pathology.
- And to be certified as a lactation consultant.
- I’d also like a Masters degree in Eastern European history.
- I think someone should just give me that one.
- I have an article on linguistic teaching methodology published in a book.
- I wrote my baccalaureate thesis on the political implications of Shostakovich’s Fifth Symphony. You can read it if you’re ever having trouble sleeping. It’ll help.
- I’m fluent in Romanian.
- I used to be fluent in Russian, but no longer, for lack of use. I still read it though.
- I think I’d get it back if I needed it.
- I’d also like to learn Arabic, Georgian, Gagauz, and Hebrew. So many languages, so little time.
- I can memorize complex linguistic structures, but not simple Bible verses.
- Anyone want to explain why?
- Numbers 37 & 58 aren’t really things about me – sorry. I’m also apologetic and filled with grace.
- I’m quick to forgive when the person and the offense weren’t that important.
- The closer the person is to me, and the more I care about them, the harder it is to forgive. That even goes for minor offenses.
- God knew I needed a hubby who would be quick to forgive me though. And that’s who I have.
- I have 2 beautiful children.
- I’d like to have more, but I’m truly afraid my sanity would be a casualty of parenthood.
- I’d really, really like to start my own business.
- In fact, I was ready to start my own business. But hubby’s company asked him to relocate to another country.
- So his company won. We’re moving to
in a few months, unless God intervenes. England
- But honestly, our move to
is probably God intervening, in an effort to separate me from my stuff. (stuff that I love) England
- It will also help with points 44 & 45.
- I think once I get over the shock of it, I’ll be excited.
- Of all the countries I’ve been to, I’ve only lived in one of them (outside the
- And, I’ve never been to
, so that’ll make it 14 countries total. But still only 2 continents. England
- I’m trying to join one of my church’s ministry teams to
, to work with women who have been trafficked into sex slavery. Thailand
- But having two young kids at home makes it hard to run off to
Asiafor 10 days. Go figure.
- I never learned to ride a bike. I’m serious. Stop laughing!
- I can swim like a fish though.
- Maybe if there were bikes for the water, then I’d be able to… Let’s not go there.
- I drool over fabric.
- But I can’t sew.
- I have a sewing machine in my closet.
- I paid $8 for it at Goodwill. It’s ancient.
- I used to sell yarn and knitting supplies on Ebay.
- I still have a floor-to-ceiling bookshelf in my laundry room stuffed with yarn that I need to sell.
- And a huge storage container filled with yarn and half-finished knitting projects.
- I’m not good at finishing my knitting. I like to start new projects.
- I also like to start new books.
- I might have a problem with follow-through.
- I’m an INFP (but I was in INTJ before kids).
- I multitask well with lots of things, but not cooking.
- I like to be undisturbed when cooking.
- Mostly because I’m afraid something I’m cooking will splatter hot something-or-other and hurt one of my kids. I’m paranoid like that.
- I’m also a perfectionist. If I burn what I’m cooking, I find it nearly impossible to forgive myself. Even if the other people eating it don’t notice.
Measuring cups are for sissies.I don’t measure anything when I cook. I’m still a perfectionist though.
- When my kids cry it makes me crazy. (I’m about to lose it right now – they’re protesting their naps.)
- I’m not bothered by other people’s kids crying.
- I’m a sinner saved by grace.
- I like to argue with God. I think He likes it too – at least being real with Him then.
- It’s taken me a long time to learn I don’t have to fake it with God. He can see straight through me.
- I also like to
arguedialogue with people who disagree with me about faith issues. Something about iron sharpening iron.
- On my own I’m pretty darn incapable of anything much. But I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Thank goodness I have Him to rely on!