Friday, March 09, 2007

Volcano Cake

I found it! For my (late) 8th of March party tomorrow, I wanted to bring this amazing cake that my aunt makes. I spent hours scouring all the places I might have placed the recipe, and then finally just called her and wrote it down. (Think maybe I could have saved time by calling her first?) Anyhow, after she gave it to me, I googled it (and why not?) and found this - it's virtually the same as hers, only with chocolate syrup on top! Who can beat that?

Volcano Cake

Recipe courtesy of Frances Holder of Dobson, a member of Surry-Yadkin EMC.

1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup flaked coconut
1 box German chocolate cake mix
1 1/4 cups water
1/3 cup oil
3 large eggs
1 stick margarine
8 ounces cream cheese
1 box confectioner’s sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 24-ounce can Hershey’s chocolate syrup
12 ounces Cool Whip, thawed
1 plain chocolate candy bar, grated

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Grease a 13-by-9-by-2-inch cake pan. Sprinkle the pecans and coconut in bottom of the pan. Set aside.

Blend dry cake mix, water, oil and eggs in a large bowl at low speed until moistened, about 30 seconds. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Pour over pecans and coconut in pan.

Melt margarine and cream cheese in microwaveable bowl. Stir until smooth. Add the confectioner’s sugar and vanilla; mix well. Pour over the cake mix.

Bake 30–35 minutes or until tests done. Immediately after removing from oven, pour all of the Hershey’s syrup over hot cake. Cool completely. Top with Cool Whip and sprinkle on the grated candy bar. Refrigerate until serving. Refrigerate leftovers.

Yield: 12–16 servings

Source: Carolina Country

1 comment:

Alida Sharp said...

sounds like a wonderful treat for Women's Day... March 8th. I know several of our Russian friends would love it!